Dataset : Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities 2017
José Lages, Dima Shepelyansky, Célestin Coquidé (2018): Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities 2017. UTINAM. FR-18008901306731-2019-01-10
Identifier : local : FR-18008901306731-2019-01-10
We present Wikipedia Ranking of World Universities (WRWU) based on analysis of networks of 24 Wikipedia editions collected in May 2017. With PageRank and CheiRank algorithms we determine ranking of universities averaged over cultural views of these editions. The comparison with the Shanghai ranking gives overlap of 60% for top 100 universities showing that WRWU gives more significance to their historical development. We show that the new reduced Google matrix algorithm allows to determine interactions between leading universities on a scale of ten centuries. This approach also determines the influence of specific universities on world countries. We also compare different cultural views of Wikipedia editions on significance and influence of universities.
Data acquisition : from 1 May 2017 to 31 May 2017
Data provision : 2 Jun 2018
Metadata record :
Creation : 10 Jan 2019
Language : English (eng)
Audience : General, Research, Stakeholder, Policy maker
Spatial coverage :
- Monde: on Earth, latitude between 85° N and 85° S, longitude between 180° W and 180° E
Time coverage :
Publisher : Institut UTINAM
Projects and funders :
- Mission pour l’interdisciplinarité / Défi MASTODONS (CNRS)
APEX - Analyse Physique des résEaux compleXes
- Projet recherche, financement 2017 (Region Bourgogne Franche-Comté)
GNETWORKS - Google matrix analysis of real complex networks
- I-SITE UBFC (COMUE UBFC)
Access : available
Formats : application/pdf, image/png, image/x-eps, text/csv, text/html
Data acquisition methods :
- Derived or compiled data : Web crawling of Wikipedia editions (May 2017) to retrieve information about universities (year of foundation, location, ...).
- Simulation or computational data : PageRank, CheiRank and 2DRank algorithms have been used to rank articles within each of the 24 Wikipedia language editions (May 2017).
Reduced Google matrix method has been used to infer interaction between articles.
Datatype : Dataset
- World influence and interactions of universities from Wikipedia networks (https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.00332)